We have found the six best men’s underwear for running, including some great options for men that will make you forget that you even have any underwear on!
You have the right shoes, the headlamp, the hydration pack, and some awesome tunes downloaded to head out on your daily run. Your Zen time is complete…almost.
There are many small pieces of equipment that can help a runner to be more effective and comfortable as they run, so even though you are wearing your awesome Nikes and CamelBak, you might want to consider what’s going on under your running clothes.
That’s right, your underwear.
Related Article: Best Women’s Underwear for Running
Top 6 Best Men’s Underwear for Running Comparison
|Under Armour Men’s Tech 6-inch Boxerjock
|Adidas Men’s Relaxed Performance Climalite Boxer Brief
|Nike Pro Compression Training Short Dry Fit
|New Balance Men’s 6″ Boxer Brief
|Smartwool Men’s Merino 150 Boxer Brief
|DRSKIN Men’s Compression Pants Sports Tights Baselayer
Consider the Following
Before you choose a pair of running underwear, consider the following:
- Season: Have some seasonal underwear: breathable fabrics in warm weather and thermal layers in cold weather. If you’re a trail runner, you might find that a pair of insulated compression pants are a great option, especially if you’re running at higher altitudes where it might get a bit chilly once you stop for a break.
- Layers: If you’re worried about speed and aerodynamics, underwear designed for runners will help you with this. They keep everything smooth and tight, which means you won’t lose speed as you run.
- Fabric: Opt for something smooth, snug, and preferably seamless. You want a performance wicking material or merino wool to prevent chafing.
- Seams: The best underwear for running are seamless or have smooth, minimal seams. Thick, bulky seams can rub and chaff, so find a smooth seamline that offers you a snug fit that won’t allow them to fall or move as you run.
Going Commando vs. Underwear
Yes, there are some who enjoy the feeling of absolute freedom under their running shorts, but there are actually some great benefits to wearing underwear that you won’t get when you go commando.
- Compression. A lot of active underwear, such as those for runners, offer you compression benefits (in a good way). Compression clothing is always great when you’re working out, as it helps promote better circulation and helps your muscles from feeling so achy after you run.
- Support. Both men and women can benefit from the support that underwear offer. If you are used to going commando, try a pair of the underwear on our list. They are specifically designed for runners and athletes and you may be pleasantly surprised at how much you like them!
Top 3 Best Men’s Underwear for Running Reviews
Runners love the fit and feel of this underwear, as it almost feels like you aren’t wearing any. So comfortable, that you might replace all of your normal underwear with them, too!
The polyester/elastane fabric is lightweight, moisture-wicking which prevents the growth of odor-causing bacteria.
Made from 100% polyester that will keep you cool and dry as you run, and it’s also treated with a special odor-resistant material that resists bacterial odors. They feature smooth, non-chafing stitching, a soft elastic waistband, and a double-lined support pouch in front. These stay put as you run, no riding up the leg stride after stride and distracting you from your objective.
The polyester blend fabric will wick moisture and sweat away from your body, keeping you dry as you pound the pavement, while the flat seams won’t cause chafing and irritation. The ergonomic design of the seams also allows you a full range of motion, and won’t leave you feeling constricted or limited as you move. If you’re looking for some boxer shorts that won’t slow you down as you run, the Nike 3” compression shorts are great!